Monday, January 23, 2012

I think in the story, Country Lovers, Apartheid is shown in a different way than it is shown in the other stories we've read. In this story I don't think you really see the hateful part of it so much as you see the separation between the two groups. This story shows how the pressure of Apartheid forced them do do horrible things. If Paulus and Thebedi didn't have to deal with Apartheid and the separation it caused, then they wouldn't have had that constant pressure. I think that pressure in the end is what caused Paulus to kill the baby. He knew that if anyone ever found out, they wouldn't accept it. Paulus seemed very selfish to me, and while I think he did have feelings for Thebedi, he seemed to do whatever it took to maintain his status.

No comments:

Post a Comment